British High Tea Cauliflower Cheese a Wonderful Polish Blog Mention and a Winner

9:29 PM


There's a lot to pack into this post.  First things first.  This is the only way my mother had a hope of my brother and me eating cauliflower.  We actually LOVED this - far from tasting like boiled cauliflower (ugh) it is a cheesy, creamy delight.   Even my picky eater eats this - she thought it was macaroni cheese! It was a staple growing up and I'm always amused by watching my children and husband devour this.  It's also easy and quick. It's a win - win.


1 large cauliflower - or 2 small ones


4 tablespoons butter


1/4 cup (heaped) all purpose flour


salt and pepper


3 cups milk


1 cup of heavy cream  (you can just use 4 cups milk - skimmed if you want  - or course it won't be quite as luscious without the cream)


1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard (a little more if you want more of a bite)


Pinch of nutmeg


6 oz of strong British cheddar (all self respecting British women would use cheddar - although I have to confess I had been wiped out and only had Gruyere - so I used that and it was delicious)


1 heaped tablespoon Parmesan


1 heaped tablespoon dried breadcrumbs


Heat the oven to 375F


Put a medium saucepan half filled with water on to boil.


Cut your cauliflower into florets.


Boil them for approx 5 minutes - not quite cooked through.


Drain and place in an oven proof dish.



In a saucepan heat the butter until foaming.


Heat the flour and cream mixture in the microwave until hot.


Add the flour and mustard to the butter and stir.



Add the milk, splash by splash, stirring until thoroughly combine and you have a smooth sauce.


Add the grated cheese, pepper and nutmeg and stir until smooth. 


Pour the sauce over the steamed cauliflower.



Mix together the Parmesan and the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top. 



Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for approx 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is is bubbling and golden and the cauliflower is completely cooked through.


Remove from oven and cook for 5 minutes or so.


I was very excited to  be included in a wonderful Polish blog


http://www.dobrapolskaszkola.com/


They also very kindly made some beautiful artwork to advertise my blog - don't you think it's lovely?!  I just wish my waist was really that size!



I'm happy to annouce the winner of the 5 Ingredient Fix Cookbook



Stephenie of the lovely Greenthyme blog.



http://greenthyme.blogspot.com/


0 评论