Grilled Tuna with Peach Mango Salsa

10:59 PM


 Fish is so easy to cook and so refreshing - especially twinned with a tropical salsa such as this.  When I first started cooking I was very nervous about fish and I find a lot of people have the same reaction, but really nothing could be simpler.  This is the unusual case of very little time + very little effort = great result!    


I realize I've gone a little fish crazy recently.  This is for two reasons.  Firstly, the daughter who HATES fish is at - wait for it - Seacamp!! Yes that's right, she's studying FISH - just not eating it.  Secondly, I have just discovered a wonderful fish man (not half man and half fish like some sort of slimy X file creature but a man who sells fish) at the most AMAZING prices.  This tuna was $6.99 a pound!!  Who in their right mind sells fresh, beautiful, just pulled from the sea tuna for $6.99?? No one in New York - at least I've never found them.  So here's another fish recipe.  My Seacamp daughter is home soon so there will be little fish in the future. But I'm glad I didn't let this one get away.




For the fish;


Fresh tuna steaks


salt and pepper


1 lime


For the salsa;


1 mango (peeled and diced)


4 peaches (skin left on and diced)


2 limes (zest and juice)


A BIG handful - or two if you like - of fresh cilantro (chopped)


1 jalapeno pepper (finely chopped)


1/4  red onion (finely chopped)


To make the salsa, chop all the ingredients and place in a large bowl. Grate the zest of the limes and squeeze the juice over the chopped vegetables.  Combine and chill in the fridge. YUM.


To grill the steaks I used my stove top griddle pan. 


Lightly coat the steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.


Heat the pan until REALLY hot and then sear the steaks for about 2 minutes on each side.  This really depends on how raw you like them.  I love them with the griddle marks on the outside but pretty raw on the inside.  But cook them how you like them, just leave them on a little longer if you wish.   




Remove to a platter and squeeze lime juice over them.  Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes.


Uncover and heap the salsa over them, sprinkle more cilantro over the whole affair, place tomatoes and more lime wedges around for more liberal squeezing.




0 评论