Cauliflower and Scallions with Turmeric Chili and Mustard Seeds

11:39 PM


Bins filled with cauliflower and broccoli are battling for space in our local farmer's markets. I happen to love both vegetables, but I generally lose my enthusiasm for them when there is no variety in the way they are prepared. I'm always on the lookout for new ways to serve them, and when I come across a recipe that has possibilities, I'll give it a try. I stumbled on the blog, Jane Spice, while looking for new ways to prepare cauliflower. While there, I found a recipe for a spicy version of cauliflower that would add some balance and punch to the, otherwise, plain meal I had planned for dinner. I had all the ingredients I needed on hand  and the recipe seemed simple to make, so the dish was added to our menu. Cauliflower prepared in this fashion has wonderful color and borrows from the flavors of Indian cooking. I really enjoyed this dish and will make it again. It is, however, assertive, so you'll want to be careful about what you serve it with. It is fast and easy to prepare and I think you, too, might enjoy it. It definitely will quick-start your appetite and stimulate your taste buds.. I hope you will give it a try. Here's how it is made.


Cauliflower and Scallions with Turmeric, Chili and Mustard Seeds


Ingredients:


1 small head cauliflower


1-2 bunches scallions


3 tablespoons canola or safflower or other light cooking oil


1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds


1/2 teaspoon turmeric


1 or 2 jalape?o chiles, or other spicy chile or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes


Salt to taste


1/3 cup hot water


Directions:


1) Separate cauliflower into very small florets. Wash and drain. Trim scallions and chop into 1/4 inch pieces.


2) Heat oil. When oil is very hot, add mustard seeds. Stir constantly for about a minute. Add turmeric, chiles, salt, and scallions, stirring rapidly. Cook for half a minute or so before adding cauliflower. Stir to mix everything well, add the water, and simmer, covered, on low for 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender. Increase heat to evaporate any liquid.


One Year Ago Today: Apple Streusel Muffins


Two Years Ago Today:  Bouillabaise de Poulet - French Country Chicken Stew


Three Years Ago Today: Red Pepper Hummus


0 评论