Cauliflower Gratin

11:39 PM


I first saw this recipe in Leite's Culinaria shortly after Dorie Greenspan's book, Around My French Table, was published. I printed off the recipe but did nothing with it until the purchase and perusal of her book again brought it to mind. August marks a flood of broccoli and cauliflower in local markets and the need to use cauliflower that had been purchased moved this recipe center stage. This gratin is very easy to make, and it is quite good. My only problem is that I think this creamy, almost quiche-like, creation is too rich to be served as a side dish. That makes me a party of one, because most other reviewers think it is a perfect accompaniment to any type of roast meat. While I would not serve it as part of a dinner, I do think this rich gratin is perfect for lunch or a light supper. The dish is best served warm and eaten on the day it is made. While it can be re-heated, the gratin becomes more strongly flavored the longer it sits and the leftovers might be a hard sell. If you are looking for new ways to serve cauliflower, I urge you to give this recipe a try. I think you'll really enjoy the gratin. Here's how it is made.


Cauliflower Gratin


Ingredients:


Butter for the baking dish


1 cauliflower (a medium head, about 2 1/2 pounds or so)


1/4 pound bacon, cut crosswise into slender strips


1/3 cup all-purpose flour


5 large eggs, lightly beaten


1 cup heavy cream


2/3 cup whole milk


Salt and freshly ground pepper


Freshly grated nutmeg


3 ounces Gruy

0 评论