Croquembouche

11:39 PM


I know few desserts that speak more to the Christmas holiday than croquembouche. This cone-shaped French marvel is made with filled cream puffs, caramel and spun sugar. It is always delicious and when made by experienced hands it can be a visually stunning addition to the holiday table. Until this year, the ones that graced my table were the creation of pastry chefs who charged dearly for their efforts. It would have been ever thus, had I not found a video on the Fine Cooking website that clearly detailed how to make one. While I've included a recipe with this post, there are times when pictures are more helpful, so, if you are inclined to try to make a croquembouche, please take 5 minutes to watch the video, found here, before you start. It will save you a boat load of grief. My clumsy creation won't strike fear in the hearts of pastry chefs, but it was a good first effort and, appearances aside, it was delicious and I can now strike it, along with suckling pig, from my must-do list. If you share my insanity and would like to make a croquembouche, if only once, take a peek at the video then follow the directions below.


Croquembouche


Ingredients:


For the pastry cream


1-1/2 cups whole-milk ricotta


3 cups whole milk


3 large eggs


3 large egg yolks


Table salt


1 cup granulated sugar


6 Tbs. cornstarch


1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract


2-1/4 oz. (4-1/2 Tbs.) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces


For the pate

0 评论