Frothy Whipped Berry Parfaits

12:15 AM




The Sirens occasionally try to lure me to their islands. Fortunately, I know my own weaknesses and usually stand my ground. My restraint, however, failed me when I saw the first photo in today's post. I found the recipe for that beautiful dessert on the Betty Crocker website. I wasn't much interested in some its elements, but I loved the possibilities of what could be done with the yogurt, gelatin and fresh berries that formed the base of the dessert. So, I took just the three ingredients and came up with the recipe that appears below. This is a featherlight, almost frothy, dessert that is packed with the flavor of the berries that are used to extend it. If you have a sweet tooth, this dessert will disappoint you, but if your dessert tastes run more to the tartly sweet, I really think you will enjoy this nearly effortless treat. I use full fat Greek yogurt and lots of fresh berries when I make this. If the berries are not fully ripe, I add a tablespoon or two of baker's superfine sugar and a teaspoon of pure berry extract to bring them up to snuff. The berry extracts can be found here. This dessert is best served on the day it is made. I hope you'll give these frothy parfaits a try. They can be made with any type of berry and I really think you'll enjoy them. Here's the recipe.



Frothy Whipped Berry "Parfaits"



Ingredients:


1 cup boiling water


1 box (4-serving size) strawberry-flavored gelatin


2/3 cup Greek yogurt


2 cups diced fresh strawberries


Optional: 1 teaspoon pure berry extract


Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons superfine sugar



Directions:


1) In medium bowl, pour boiling water on gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in yogurt until melted and smooth. If using, stir in berry extract and superfine sugar. Cover; refrigerate until thickened but not set, about 60 to 90 minutes.


2) Beat gelatin mixture with electric mixer on high speed 7 to 8 minutes or until doubled in volume. Fold in diced strawberries. Spoon into 8 (1-cup) parfait glasses or clear coffee mugs. Cover; refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm. Yield: 8 servings.


0 评论