Peruvian Salt Roasted Shrimp with Pimenton Aioli

11:39 PM



I had planned to do a lot of Peruvian cooking before our October Amazon adventure began, but it seems the universe, or at least the clock, has conspired against me. I've only made a few of the dishes I intended to try, but, hopefully, they'll give the Silver Fox and me a real sense of what's to come. The recipe I'm featuring tonight came from an article written by John Broening for The Denver Post. The recipe, and the unusual technique used to cook the shrimp, was given to him by an uncle who lives in Peru, where the dish would be made with langoustines. In order to make this dish, you'll need a cast iron skillet, large unpeeled shrimp and a boatload of Kosher salt. The shrimp go into a hot skillet to which no oil has been added. They are covered with kosher salt and allowed to cook for several minutes on each side. As they cook, the salt forms a crust that keeps the shrimp super moist and flavorful. The shells, which remain on the shrimp as they cook, keep them from becoming too salty. Once they are cool enough to handle, the salt is brushed off and the shrimp are peeled. They are served with a fabulous quick-fix aioli that I know you will enjoy. This is a wonderfully flavorful dish that almost had my socks going up and down. I am withholding that accolade only because peeling the cooked shrimp is a real bother. I liked this dish enormously and I'll fix it again. I think those of you who try the shrimp will like them as much as I do. Here's the recipe.


Peruvian Salt Roasted Shrimp with Pimenton Aioli


Ingredients:


Pimenton Aioli


Juice of 1 lemon


2 egg yolks


2 teaspoons minced garlic


1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika


1 teaspoon hot sauce


Salt and pepper


1 cup canola oil


Salt Roasted Shrimp


2 pounds jumbo shrimp, unpeeled, intestine removed


2 cups kosher salt


Lemon wedges


Directions:


1) To make aioli: Pur

0 评论