Tomato Pie

11:39 PM



Tomatoes are coming in with a vengeance now and I'm really scrambling to find new ways to use them. Save for pizza, I've never had a tomato pie, and this one came to my attention while I was searching for recipes that used tomatoes. The pie was featured in Woman's Day magazine and I've made it twice since finding the recipe. The tart in tonight's photos is the result of a slight change made to the original recipe. Specifically, I replaced large tomato wedges with an equal weight of cherry and grape tomatoes. The change worked well, but I must admit that I actually liked the original version better than my own. While they made for a less colorful pie, I think the meatier tomato wedges give the tart a better texture. The pie is nicely spiced, and, if you use a commercially prepared crust, you'll find it really easy to prepare. It will need to sit a few minutes before it is cut, but the crust will become soggy if it is allowed to sit for too long a time. This is a really nice way to use any excess tomatoes you may have. I hope you will give the recipe a try. Here's how the tomato pie is made.



Tomato Pie



Ingredients:


1 9-inch unbaked pie crust


2 leeks (1/4 pound), root ends trimmed, tops cut so about 1 in. pale green remains


3 teaspoons olive oil, divided use


2 tablespoons minced garlic


2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves


1 teaspoon each salt and pepper


1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs


1 cup Mexican-style shredded Cheddar Jack


2 large (about 1-1/4 pound) tomatoes, each cut in 12 wedges or an equal weight of plum or cherry tomatoes


Directions:


1) Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with crust and bake for 9 minutes as the package directs. Cool. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.


2) Meanwhile cut leeks lengthwise in quarters; thinly slice. Put in bowl of water; stir to loosen grit; lift to colander to drain.


3) Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; saut

0 评论