A Healthy Makeover for Peach and Blueberry Mini Crumbles

9:30 PM


I absolutely LOVE crumbles, firstly because I don't have to make a pie crust and secondly because of all the fruit.  This summer combination is a favorite.  As much as I love crumbles I wanted to update my recipe to a healthier but still delicious version.  First of all I substituted agave nectar for the sugar in the filling then I used wholegrain spelt flour with a just a shake of all purpose flour and amped up the oats in the topping.  Believe me this is still delicious - and the beauty of it is that now you can eat it for breakfast! 


I thought minis would be fun and they delighted my little one who recently told me she didn't like "big food".  Of course almost any fruit combination works, rhubarb and strawberry is gorgeous, pear and raspberry and of course the British favorite of blackberry and apple.  I was very lazy and didn't peel the peaches and it didn't even cross my mind to blanch them - I didn't have the time or patience for that last night, but do go ahead if you would like.


You can of course use all purpose flour in place of the spelt if you prefer and regular white sugar instead of the agave nectar and sucanat.  If you don't want to go the mini route use an 11 inch pie dish.




For the filling;


6-9 peaches, pitted, stoned and peeled (if you like)


8 -10 oz of blueberries


1 tablespoon of vanilla extract


zest and juice of a lemon


1 tablespoon of cornstarch


1 tablespoon of agave syrup


For the topping;


1 cup of wholegrain spelt flour


1/4 cups of all purpose flour


1 cup of oats


1/4 cup of sucanat sugar


6 oz of unsalted butter (melted and cooled)


pinch of salt


Heat the oven to 375F


Place the peaches, blueberries and the rest of the filling ingredients in a large bowl and gently toss.  Set aside.


To make the topping, mix the flours, oats, salt and sugar together.  Melt the butter (in the microwave) and let cool.  Pour the butter over the dry ingredients and stir to combine.


Fill the ramekins (or one big pie dish) with the fruit mixture and add the topping.


Place on a baking sheet and put in the oven to bake for approx 30 minutes for the ramekins and approx 50 for a large crumble.  When the top is golden and the juices are bubbling over the side the crumbles are ready. 


Remove from the oven and let sit for 10-20 minutes before serving.


Try serving with Greek vanilla yogurt.




0 评论