Orzo Salad

8:06 AM



While this is not the most flattering photo, I have to share this recipe.

I made this orzo salad for the birthday party last week and people couldn't stop talking about it. While it's a copycat recipe based on J. Alexander's Orzo and Wild Rice Salad, I had to make a few adjustments. See, I love to plan parties and stuff, but I do tend to get stressed out..ok, a bit over stressed. Even though I make list after list of things I need, I inevitably leave something off. This time it was the wild rice. I might have stressed out a bit over it, but then I figured I could do without it, since eating wild rice is like chewing on tiny brown expensive twigs. I think it turned out just fine.

*Note: The below measurements are what I used for the party to feed 25 people.

Orzo Salad
adapted from J. Alexander's Orzo & Wild Rice Salad Recipe found on www.cdkitchen.com

10 C. orzo rice, cooked and cooled
1 C. red onion, diced
1 can corn niblets
1 C. yellow pepper, diced
1 C. red pepper, diced
1/2 C. fresh basil, chopped
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/4 C. parsley, chopped --(oh, I forgot that too, so I left that out as well..oops)

Cook orzo according to directions on package. Drain and then let cool for about 30 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss. Make dressing.

For the dressing:
1 1/4 C. canola oil
1 1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
5/8 C. sweet white balsamic vinegar
7 1/2 T. honey
1 1/4 T. Dijon mustard
1 1/4 tsp. garlic, minced
5/8 tsp. black pepper

Put all the ingredients, except both oils, in a medium mixing bowl. Stir until combined. Vigorously stir the mixture while slowly adding the oils. Once combined, pour over cold orzo/vegetable mixture and stir to coat. Refrigerate. Best served cold.

*I made the salad the day before the party and refrigerated so the flavors could intensify*

0 评论