Maple Pecan Cupcakes with Butter Pecan Buttercream

8:06 AM


These may not be the prettiest cupcakes I've made, but they are up there with some of the tastiest. When I saw these Maple Pecan Cupcakes on Paula Deen's website I knew that I had to make them. Even though I am not a huge pecan fan, I do enjoy a taste or two of butter pecan ice cream every now and then. And while I wasn't overly impressed with the actual cake part of the cupcake, the butter pecan buttercream was clearly what won me over. It really tastes like butter pecan ice cream. I made these to take to my in-laws for dessert one Sunday and they raved and raved over them. So try these if butter pecan is your thing!


Maple Pecan Cupcakes
recipe from Cupcake Project via Paula Deen


1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
3/4 C. finely crushed pecans
1 1/2 tsp.baking powder
1/2  tsp. baking soda
1/2  tsp. salt
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. pure maple syrup
1/2  C. unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 tsp.vanilla extract
2/3 C. whole milk
1 C. pecans, roughly chopped



Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.


In a medium-sized mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix together flour, crushed pecans, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the sugar and maple syrup and mix until fully combined. Then add the butter and mix on medium-low speed for about three minutes. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until just combined. Add the milk and mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chopped pecans.


Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.


For the Butter Pecan Buttercream:
1 C. + 2 T unsalted butter, room temperature
1 C. roughly chopped pecans
Pinch salt
3 C. powdered sugar
1 T. + 1 tsp. vanilla extract


First prepare the butter pecans. Melt two tablespoons of butter in a small skillet over medium low heat, then add the pecans and salt to the pan.  Cook for six to eight minutes (I ended up only needing 5 minutes as I felt like my pecans were going to burn), stirring periodically, until almost all of the butter is absorbed. Remove from heat, but leave in the skillet.


For the buttercream, in a medium-sized mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix remaining one cup of butter on medium-low speed for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Slowly mix in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and mix until fully combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. Scrape the cooled pecans and any butter left in the skillet into the frosting and fold in.


Spread or pipe with a large open tip onto cooled cupcakes.


This recipe made 18 cupcakes for me. They also seem to last several days in a covered container, if you have any left over.



0 评论