Salted Caramel Brownies

8:06 AM


I wanted to make something quick and relatively easy this past weekend so, of course, brownies were the first thing that entered my brain. I think I may be one of those crazies that likes the box mix better than homemade. I think Duncan Hines makes a pretty awesome brownie mix and I always have a box in my pantry. So, I had this thought of swirling some caramel in the brownies to make them extra yummy. Then I thought since I've been hearing so much about salted caramel, I'd throw that in too. I melted some caramels in a double boiler along with a can of sweetened condensed milk and then added some kosher salt. I added just a little at a time because you can always add, but you can never take away..you just end up throwing away. The caramel was so nice, with it's slight salty flavor and the little crunch from the kosher salt. It was such a great treat just dipping a spoon in the caramel mixture and sampling. I might have done it more than once. *wink*


So I prepared the brownie mix as instructed on the box. I used the recipe for "cake-like" brownies as opposed to the "fudgy" type. I just felt if they were more cakey, they could hold up the caramel better. I took half the brownie batter and poured into prepared 13x9 pan and then poured the caramel mixture over the brownie batter. Then I poured the remaining batter into the pan and then heavily drizzled the caramel mixture over the top of the batter. I didn't use all the caramel mixture because I thought it might be too much, but I think I could have went with more, as some brownies didn't really have that much caramel. My husband didn't mind the left over caramel though. I think it was gone within minutes.


Salted Caramel Brownies


1 Box of Brownie Mix
35 caramels
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. kosher salt (I added 1/2 tsp at a time..you may like less or more..totally up to your taste buds)


In double boiler, place the caramels and can of sweetened condensed milk. Stir often and let the caramels melt into the milk. Once the caramels have melted, stir in the kosher salt. Prepare brownie mix as directed on box and pour half the batter into 13x9 pan. Then pour about 1/2 or so of the caramel mixture on top of brownie batter. Repeat with remaining brownie batter and then caramel mixture on top. Bake according to directions on box. Let cool before cutting.



0 评论