Easier & Quicker Version Chai Tou Kueh. Spicy Stir Fry Radish Cake

11:53 PM


I have been drooling and dreaming of making my own radish cake, but I haven't seem to managed the time just yet. I sent a message to Kristy and asked for the recipes since I don't have any idea on how to make this Asian savory cake. I was very pleased that She reply my message immediately, not just that, she even  dedicated a post of radish cake  recipe for me. Thank you so much dear Kristy, you have no idea how much I love it!. I will definitely make your radish cake from scratch very soon, I hope. 


Ready made radish cake, fortunately,  is easy to find in any Asian grocery store. Although I am not sure which brand to get, I just choose the pricier one, as I figure out if the price is a little above the average, they must be using a little  better ingredients then the cheaper one.  It might not be the case, it just my habit of shopping food that aren't familiar. Anyway, this stir fry is really delicious. I serve this for dinner, both my husband and I really liked it. It was delicious, spicy, and I love the chewiness of  radish cake (I imagine it will be even more delicious with homemade radish cake) and the crunchy sprouts. I, of course made it spicier, just because I like it that way. So, adjust the amount of chili according to your taste. 


Chai Tou Kueh
Recipe adapted from Kristy's Gourmet
serve 2 - 4 (depending how greedy you are) 


24 oz / 675 g (1 package) store bought radish cake, cut into large chunks about 2"x3/4"
3½ oz / 212 g  scallions, roughly chopped
10 mild green chilies, cut lengthwise 
16 oz / 454 g (1 package) mung bean sprouts 
3 tbs Indonesian kecap manis (amazon sells this, but too pricy)
1 tbs reduced sodium soya (soy sauce)
1 tbs fish sauce (I only use this brand, less fishy)
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 eggs, lightly whisk with fork
2 tbs canola oil
2 tbs sesame oil


Place mung bean sprouts in a large colander, rinse under cold running water, drain completely, shake off the colander to make sure that you get rid as much water as possible. Otherwise, your chai tou kueh will be soggy as mung bean sprouts  release a lot of water during stir frying process.


Heat a large wok over high heat, add canola and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Wait a few seconds until the oil is smoky a little. Add radish cake chunks, stir fry until brown on all sides. Once browned, transfer onto a plate. 


Return the wok to the heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil, add scallions, stir fry for a few seconds. Add the eggs, keep stirring until the eggs is cooked. Return radish cake into the wok, add green chillies, kecap manis, soya (soy sauce), fish sauce, ground white pepper. Stir to coat. Lastly add mung bean sprouts. Continue to stir fry for about 15 to 30 seconds (you want the sprouts still crunchy, if you cook it too long, it will starts to release the water). Transfer onto 2 serving dish, and enjoy!


0 评论