Kermit Eggplant and Lemon Basil Sambal (Sambal Terung-Kemangi)

11:53 PM


  I planted this still to hard to find eggplant in my vegetable garden. I said it's hard because it is very rare to find it  in a regular super market. So, when I saw the seedling in my local nursery, I thought I would gave it a try. I bought 2 seedlings, and both bare fruits, but not as many as I thought they would be. But still, I am quite happy with the results. I think I'd plant more next summer.



I heard that in other SE Asian country,  they actually cook this type of eggplant, but Indonesian always eat it raw, and I never seen cooked recipe for this type of eggplant. Most likely you will find kermit eggplant in a dish such as karedok (raw salad with peanut sauce),  lalapan (raw vegetable platter serve with tomato sambal), or sambal terung like the one I made here. So, today, I feel like sharing the recipe with you. You can serve this sambal over grilled fish, or fried tofu. And of course some steam rice. Hope you like it.


* In Indonesia, limau lime is used not only to acidulated this sambal, but also to make it more delicious and fragrant. Here in The States, I use kaffir lime from my tree when it is in season, otherwise  regular lime works well too.


Kermit Eggplant and Lemon Basil Sambal


serve 4


5 kermit eggplants, sliced


5 red Thai chilies


1 tomato, roughly chopped


1 teaspoon roasted dry shrimp paste (terasi bakar/belacan)


1/2 teaspoon salt


1 sprig lemon basil, torn apart


Juice of 1/2 lime* (use the whole lime if using kaffir lime)


In a mortar and pestle, pound together Thai chilies, shrimp paste, and salt until smooth, add chopped tomato, continue to pound and mix it with chili paste.  Add slice eggplant, basil, and lime juice. Mix to combine. The sambal is now ready, and is absolutely delicious companion for grilled fish of your choice, simple saute asian green, and steam rice.



0 评论