Tum Bebek (Balinese Spicy Duck Wrap In Banana Leaves)

11:53 PM


I was trying to introduce Balinese dinner to my family, this time I made what is called 'Tum Bebek', it is minced of duck meat (I used duck legs) with  long and  complicated Balinese spices, which can be challenging to find in California.  But, for most Balinese, and Asian in general, long lists of spices is just part of their day to day way of cooking. So, this tum bebek is no different then other Balinese recipe I am familiar with. The process of making it, is also a little bit longer, as most house hold in Bali don't exactly have the luxury of  modern appliances like us in this modern western world. Perhaps, it all change now, but I know for sure that most of my relatives who are still living in the  in villages scatter all over Bali, still don't bother with modern appliances. All work always done manually. My aunt who still own a small warung (cafe) lawar in  the village in south central Bali, does everything from scratch. She own a land in the back of her house where she has  rice paddies, she also has an area dedicated for all of  her pigs, ducks, goose, chickens, which all will get slaughtered (poultry daily, and weekly for the pig) eventually. I witnessed all of this routines when I was growing up there.  I am happy to know that she still has her warung, and get quite popular from the locals all over neighboring villages and town around that area.


About this recipe: I minced duck leg meat and spices manually using clever, then wrap into a little parcel of banana's leave, before steaming them. After the steaming process is done, I supposed to grill the parcell briefly to get a smoky flavor. Well, I skipped the grilling part, I was already too exhausted from doing everything from scratch. Can you imagine deboning, and defatting (is that how you call it? defatting?) 10 duck legs, then mincing the meat manually with clever? Thank goodness that my husband and my son really appreciate my hard work. They love it! They even suggested that I should make something like this more often. That's a nice compliment, perhaps not too often, thank you! Now, I start to understand why I  used to eat this only on a special occasions such as wedding ceremony, or other Balinese Hindu's festivals.


Tum Bebek


makes about 10 - 12 parcels


10   boneless and skinless duck legs, chop into small chunks


banana leaves, thaw if frozen


Spice paste mix:


1 tbs minced garlic


1/2 cup roughly chopped shallots


3 - 5 kaffir lime leaves, remove the mid ribs


2 tbs freshly grated ginger


1/3 cup or more chopped fresh lemongrass


1/2 tbs chopped fresh galangal


1 large Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped


1 tsp dry roasted shrimp paste (terasi, or belachan)


5 - 10 Thai chili, or 10 dried Californian chili


2 tsp kencur powder


2 tsp turmeric powder


kemiri nuts, roughly chopped


1 tbs fish sauce


salt, as needed


Ground spices:
Balinese long pepper
1 tbs coriander seeds, lightly toasted
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
5 white peppercorns, optional


Add enough water to the base of your steamer, then place it over medium high heat.


Put all ingredients for spice paste mix in a food processor.


In a coffee grinder, add Balinese long pepper, lightly toasted coriander seeds, black and white peppercorn, and grind to fine powder.  If using dry red chili, grind them as well. Transfer into a food processor, process all ingredients to make a smooth paste. Add a bit of water if necessary to keep blade running. This is your spice paste.


Add 2 tablespoon canola oil into frying pan. Set the pan over medium heat, add the spice paste, fry, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 5 minutes or so. Taste to see if need more salt. Remove from the heat and cool. 


In a large bowl, combine the minced duck meat, and spice paste. Do not overmix.


Divide the duck mixture into 10 - 12 portions. Take a piece of banana leave, and place a portion of the mixture in the center. Wrap the filling and secure with a tooth pick. Repeat.


When the water in your steamer is boiling, add the parcels and steam for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the duck meat is cooked thoroughly. Serve with steam rice.



0 评论