Simple Stuffed Cabbage With Ground BISON.

12:21 AM


My husband really loves this stuffed cabbage, it reminds him of his grandmother's cooking. I wish I knew how she made it, I never really had any chance to find the recipe. I suppose I can ask my mother in law, to see if she has the recipe. But for now, I think my husband is pretty happy with mine. 


The recipe is really simple, you can use any type of meat you like. For some reason, I prefer Bison then the regular ground beef. You can grind your own too, I was way too lazy ...


For Stuffed Cabbage:
10 large cabbage leaves, blanched quickly on a boiling water just enough to soften the leaves


16 ounces ground bison
¼ cup finely chopped onion


1 clove garlic, minced
⅓ cup finely chopped carrots
⅓ cupfinely chopped celery
2 tbs finely chopped parsley
1 tbs  smoked paprika
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste



Simple Tomato Sauce:


2 - 14 ounces canned diced fire roasted tomatoes
½ cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for sauteing the onion, about 1 - 2 tablespoon



First make the simple tomato sauce:




  • Put a large shallow pan or braisser over medium heat, add 1 - 2 tablespoon of oil. Add the chopped onion and saute until the onion is soft, add garlic, and saute until fragrant. Empty the canned tomatoes into the pan, add smoked paprika, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil. Turn the heat to low while you are making the stuffed cabbage.


To make the stuffed cabbage:


  • Put all ingredients (except the cabbage leaves) into a large bowl, mix all ingredients gently with your hand. 

  • Lay one cabbage on a board, add the filling, roll the leave up firmly, then fold over the end (like making a spring roll). Place the stuffed cabbage directly into the tomato sauce pan.  Repeat with the rest of the cabbage leaves. Turn the heat back into medium, cook until the sauce begin to bubble. Turn the heat to the lowest setting, continue to cook for another 30 to 40 minutes, and the sauce is reduce and thicken a little. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with nice crusty bread.


Update on Saturday, April 25 :
I have no idea that many of you never eaten or even heard of BISON. Bison is actually the scientific name for American buffalo. Bison  has significantly less fat, and has lower cholesterol then beef, pork and chicken. The meat is tastier and sweeter too!



Buffalo meat is not stranger to me, it was pretty common in Bali since the Balinese is forbidden to eat cow as they are consider sacred, so they eat water buffalo as a substitute. Back then I though it was the same thing between a water buffalo and a cow...



0 评论