Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

8:06 AM



I'm glad it's February. My January didn't go as smoothly as I thought it would. My mother had double knee replacement, something she has been needing for a while, and I've been going down to her house (two hours away) every weekend since her surgery to assist in laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. On my second weekend visit, hubby and I went out for lunch, something we RARELY ever do. We shared a BBQ Chicken Pizza and we each had one beer. It was a nice day and it was great to get out with hubby. Little did we know that later that evening, 8 hours later to be exact, we both would feel the wrath of that BBQ Chicken Pizza. Food Poisoning!!!! BOTH OF US! My worst nightmare had come true. Both of us totally unable to care for Lady H. and my mother. Oh the horror!!


The hubby still calls his mother when he is sick. I'm not making fun, I totally do it too. As we lay in bed, I can hear her ask hubby if she needs to come and get Lady H. I immediately say, "Yes, please Lord yes". So, my wonderful mother-in-law, father-in-law, and brother-in-law jump in the car and drive 2 1/2 hours in the middle of the night to my mom's house to come and pick up my 19 month old daughter. WOW! Words cannot express how thankful we both were when they arrived. Of course, I was totally out of it, so I had no idea when they got there.


So, since words can't express my gratitude, I made these for them to show my appreciation and love. I have a stellar family-in-law! Of course, I owe them like a thousand more treats, but I think they enjoyed these as I came back from their house with an empty container.


Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
from Bakerella


1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
1/2 C. butter, softened
2 eggs


Preheat oven to 350. Mix ingredients until combined. Drop spoonfuls of cookie batter onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about two inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool.


For the cream cheese filling:
1/2 C. butter, softened
1 8oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1lb box of confectioner's sugar
1 tsp. vanilla


Cream together butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add sugar and mix until combined and smooth.


To assemble cookies, spoon a small amount of frosting on the flat side of one cookie. Take another cookie and press together until frosting is flush with the edge.


*I used a small ice cream scoop and I got 24 cookies/12 sandwiches.*



0 评论