Butternut Squash Soup and Back to School - Finally!

8:35 AM


What a couple of weeks its been - the frenzied back to school shopping, whoops of delight or groans of despair when the schedules arrived, then finally there it was lumbering down the road - the school bus. I decided since it was back to the classroom for the girls it was a great opportunity for me to get my house in order after a long hot summer.  



I never used to worry much about organization, everything seemed to work out, I didn't forget to turn up to too many occasions but over the years I've reemerged as somewhat OCD.  All my pencils have to be sharpened with tips pointing upwards, I enjoy reading books on how to organize the home - in fact I think I could write one - I get anxious when that demon of demons - clutter - creeps up on me.  Sixteen garbage bags later and one trip to the thrift shop and I'm feeling a little calmer, surfaces are gleaming, windows sparkling, all the appliances in the home are humming.  With all the cleaning and organizing there's been little time for cooking and that's the beauty of this soup - it cooks itself.  All you have to do is chop up the ingredients, place them in the pot, go and fold yet another load of laundry, then puree the soup when its ready. It tastes deliciously silky, smooth and utterly divine, I felt peaceful just sipping it.



Perfectly Silky Smooth Butternut Squash Soup.


adapted from a recipe by Nigel Slater.


1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks.1large onion, peeled and chopped
Oliveoil and 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
32oz organic chicken stock
Seasalt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinchof paprika
Toastedpumpkin seeds for garnish.
Freshherbs and heavy cream - optional


Ina large Dutch oven or saucepan, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil andthe butter until foaming. 


Addthe butternut squash and onion, sprinkle with salt and saut

0 评论