Slow Roast Lamb with Garlic and Rosemary and Happy Holidays!!

8:35 AM


I wheeled myself into the kitchen yesterday and went on a scavenger hunt through the deep freeze.  I found all sorts of goodies but my prize was a boneless leg of lamb. I usually blast my roasts with intense heat but I decided to change tact and slow roast for about 5 hours or so.  The house smelled fantastic.  I highly recommend it, I think it would have been even better with a bone in cut, you could just pull it off the bone with a fork (or fingers). 


Lamb can be a tricky subject in our house. As far as my 11 year old is concerned I may as well be serving up the family bunny. Lamb is firmly off limits. The older girls and my husband had no such concerns (thankfully) and polished it off with gusto.


This must be the easiest way to roast a leg of lamb and delicious results.


Slow roasted leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic.


1, boneless or bone in leg of lamb (I did not trim the fat as it just melted off during the slow roast)


1  1/2  bulbs of garlic


1 large bunch of fresh rosemary


2 onions


olive oil


salt and pepper


Heat the oven to 320F


Peel and cut the onions into quarters and scatter in a roasting tray.  Cut one garlic bulb in half horizontally and place in the tray along with 4-5 sprigs of rosemary.  Pour over a little olive oil.


Place the lamb on top of the onions and rosemary.  With a sharp knife make about 15 small slits about 1/2 inch deep all over the lamb.  Peel and slice the garlic cloves and press them into the slits along with small sprigs of rosemary.


Rub with a generous amount of olive oil and liberally sprinkle sea salt and freshly ground black pepper all over.


Loosely cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven.


Roast for approx 5 hours.  Baste now and then.  I would not suggest going over an internal temperature of about 140 ish which is medium rare.


Remove from the oven, transfer to a warm serving plate and allow to rest for approx 15 minutes.  You will find you have some delicious drippings in the roasting pan to make a luscious gravy.  Slice and devour.


HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL


Mary x




0 评论